All IsshoniLondon.co.uk Tutors have experience teaching Japanese students. Tutors are mostly former JET Programme participants (The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme – a Japanese government initiative) who have spent at least 1-5 years teaching in primary, middle, or secondary schools in Japan. All IsshoniLondon.co.uk tutors have a Bachelor’s degree, and most also have an additional teaching qualification, such as a CELTA, TEFL or PGCE.
Our tutors are the friendliest in London! Please read about some of IsshoniLondon.co.uk’s terrific tutors below. To arrange your lessons, please contact us here.
Would you like to work for us as a private English tutor? Click here.
Lisa – Tutor Profile
- Lisa spent 5 years living in Japan, where she taught English on the JET programme, studying Japanese language in Kyota, and set up a private language school in Hokkaido.
- She studied Asian Art at SOAS, and now works in project management and recently managed a Japanese Gallery in Notting Hill.
- Lisa is British, and understands well the differences in culture and learning between the UK and Japan.
- In her spare time, Lisa enjoys reviewing events and writing about Japanese design, crafts and culture on her blog: dewdropsonmomiji.com
Kieran – Tutor Profile
- Kieran spent a year teaching as an ALT in Fukuoka on the JET Programme before returning to the UK, where he tutors Japanese students English in London and works as a writer
- He has a degree in English and American Studies from The University of Manchester, as well as further studies in newspaper journalism and an RSA CELTA – Cambridge English teaching qualification
- He is the match manager of his north London cricket club and is working on a cricket-writing project!
Tim – Tutor Profile
- Prestigious USA / UK educational background, including schooling at Eton College, Columbia University, Georgetown University and MBA at University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Tim is a practising artist, in regular communication with Japanese artists (see his website www.timshepard.co.uk)
- 15 years’ experience working as a private tutor, as well as a visiting tutor at Central St. Martin’s School of Art, and has lectured at the Royal Academy of Art
- Experienced in teaching IELTS, as well as dealing with dissertations, essays and projects
- Many of Tim’s private students study in creative areas such fine art, design and fashion
Catriona – Tutor Profile
- Catriona spent 2 yrs in Japan in Kagoshima prefecture as part of the JET programme, where she taught in junior high schools, elementary schools and kindergarten, as well as an adult Eikaiwa
- Qualifications include an MA (Hons) Linguistics English at University of Edinburgh and a Cambridge RSA CELTA English Teaching qualification
- Wide teaching experience at a TEFL summer school, taught adults in South Africa
- Catriona recommends the new ramen restaurant on Upper Street, Islington called United Ramen! She enjoys playing tennis, as well as singing and playing the piano in her spare time
Lizzie – Tutor Profile
- Lizzie is an enthusiastic and well-organised tutor – she understands how to teach English language as she also speaks French and Spanish
- She has 3 years’ experience teaching, as a high school Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Takatori-cho, Nara-ken, and with university students in Spain
- Taught French and Spanish lessons in high schools in the UK (DBS checked – 2014).
- Enjoys eating in Japanese restaurants (her favourite is ‘Taro’) and karaoke. Also enjoys country walks, art/design exhibitions, foreign cinema and sailing.
- Lizzie has 6 years’ marketing experience in London, in professional services firms and the built environment.
Melissa – Tutor Profile
- Long teaching experience, including 3 years teaching in Japan on JET Programme
- Melissa has a clear, standard British accent to help your pronunciation
- Speaks Japanese, plans to take Upper Intermediate ‘ JLPT N2’ exam this year
- BA Hons English from University of Greenwich
- Also a trained chef, Melissa enjoys travelling and world cuisine
Alex – Tutor Profile
- Just returned from 3 years in Tokyo where he taught Business English to one-to-one to adults at a school near Tokyo Station
- Alex has 7 years teaching experience, including adults and children in a range of different environments
- He enjoys studying languages. As well as learning Japanese, he studied Chinese full time for one year
- His qualifications include TEFL teaching certificate and BA Hons Creative Music Technology, 1st class, from Bath Spa University
- Alex has standard British RP pronunication
Ruth – Tutor Profile
- Ruth has a lot of experience working with the Japanese community, especially housewives and children, in the UK and London
- Taught for 2 years on the JET Programme in Nara, Japan
- Qualifications include a Masters on Contemporary Japan and a PhD on Anglo-Japanese relations from Oxford Brookes University
- She is now a Research and Teaching Associate at the Europe Japan Research Centre
- Ruth enjoys theatre and music, and recently compiled a report for the Royal Ballet School to assist Japanese ballet students in the UK
Andrea – Tutor Profile
- Andrea spent two years on the JET Programme in Tendo City, Yamagata Prefecture, where she taught primary and junior high school classes as an assistant language teacher and managed an adult English class
- Excellent Japanese skills – BA majoring in Japanese language and Linguistics from Victoria University of Wellington, NZ and JLPT level 2 Japanese
- Andrea is currently enjoying tutoring using creative ideas – she likes to draw and sing and think up engaging activities to really bring the language to life
Julia – Tutor Profile
- Julia studied History, Philosophy and Japanese at University, and first went to Japan as an Exchange student
- She taught in Kanoya, a small town in Kagoshima on the JET Programme
- Julia is currently doing teacher training in London working with young children and high school students
- She helps students pass EIKEN tests, homework from school, and learn about the UK
Robert – Tutor Profile
- Robert has a BA Hons English Literature and Creative Writing from University of East Anglia, a TEFL qualification, and is currently a Master’s Degree student in International Journalism
- He taught for 3 years at two Japanese high schools in Kyoto, as well as private 1:1 lessons to college students taking the TOEIC exam
- Trained in teaching Business English. Focus on pronunciation (phonics) and activities to deliver sustained improvement in communicative ability
- Robert enjoys eating at Asakusa Restauratnt by Mornington Crescent station and attending lectures on Japanese art and literature at the Japan Foundation
Vanessa – Tutor Profile
- Vanessa established IsshoniLondon.co.uk in 2007, and has many years of teaching and management experience
- Vanessa read English at Nottingham University before spending three years in Tochigi-ken on the JET Programme
- She has a Cambridge RSA CELTA English teaching qualification, and is a qualified secondary school level English teacher (King’s College London)
- Her hobbies include public speaking, and writing about Japanese things in London at JapaneseLondon.com!
Rob – Tutor Profile
- Rob is a professional trombone player and teacher who works with various orchestras in the UK and abroad
- Lived in Japan for three years and played with the Hyogo Performing Arts Center Orchestra which was conducted by Yutaka Sado
- Whilst in Japan Rob became interested in teaching English and worked part time teaching individual and group lessons
- Rob is also a music teacher and teaches all brass instruments and musical theory
Catherine – Tutor Profile
- Catherine has just returned from two years teaching at a senior high school in Shizuoka, Japan (2012-2014), where she taught many oral communication classes and helped students with essay writing
- Taught for a year as a Conversational English Teacher at Chaucer College, Canterbury with Japanese university students on exchange
- Prepared students for speech contests and has experience with teaching pronunciation
- Has a BA (Hons), 1st in English and American Literature with History and Philosophy of Art from the University of Kent, Canterbury and is currently studying MA, European Culture and Thought
- Fluent in French and familiar with the difficulties of studying a second language